Pokemon Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for pokemon players to chat, trade, battle and other pokemon related activities

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to Pokemon Wars!
March's Pokemon of the month is Latios!

Strategic Pokemon

Go down 
+4
Pokemon Wars
far257
Luxray15
KidDraggo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
KidDraggo
Psychic
Psychic

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Having Difficulties with making a pokemon team?
Say a pokemon(please no über teir legendaries)I will be going over the following:
Ivs(Wait stop just get all 31 GG)
EVs
Ability
Nature
Moveset
Item
And maybe a description
Back to top Go down
Luxray15
Team Galactic
Team Galactic
Luxray15

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Gyrados?
Back to top Go down
far257
Fire Gym Leader

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 pm

interested on your EV/nature choice for Aegislash... and moveset.
Back to top Go down
KidDraggo
Psychic
Psychic

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 6:37 am

Luxray15 wrote:
Gyrados?
Nature:Lonley(Increase in Attack,Decrease in Defense)
EVs:Attack 255 Speed 255
Move set:DragonDance(Will increase the Attack and speed stat to defeat the oppenets quickly)
Earthquake(Electric's type major weakness),Waterfall(Stab+Chance to flinch),Ice Beam/Ice Fang(Good against Dragon Types)
Item:Life Orb(With great speed and attack you will defeat your oppenets with no mercy with the increase of 30% of each attack thanks to life orb
Ability:Moxie(Every Kill,More Power)
And that's Gyarados.
Back to top Go down
Pokemon Wars
The Supreme Overlord Admin
Pokemon Wars

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 8:03 am

Why are you running lonely? Your better off jolly or adamant. Also don't even consider ice beam his sp.atk is incredibly low especially when compared to his monstrous attack stat.
Back to top Go down
https://pokemonwars.forumotion.com
far257
Fire Gym Leader

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 8:32 am

Green Charizard wrote:
Why are you running lonely? Your better off jolly or adamant. Also don't even consider ice beam his sp.atk is incredibly low especially when compared to his monstrous attack stat.
agreed. I run Jolly with a Scarf or a Dragon Dance set. I like a choice-scarf set... especially if using Moxie. Waterfall is absurdly powerful off a Gyarados in the rain and has great neutral coverage thanks to the lack of powerful grass types (although Ferrothorn is still a pain in the ass... as are other bulky water-types), and the scarf + Jolly and full EV investment let's him outrun everything relevant including Modest Jolteon. Moxie + scarf will allow him to come in, revenge kill something he'd normally be slower than, and proceed to sweep as he builds attack boosts.

Dragon Dance set is also good with intimidate. This lets Gyarados switch in on a resisted physical move, sponge the attack and get 1-2 dragon dances off. Again, +1 Jolly Gyarados outspeeds +0 modest Jolteon, and will continue to outspeed Jolly Dragonite even if he boosts as well. Dragon Dance Gyarados gets supreme coverage off Stone Edge and Earthquake alongside STAB Waterfall, but could also consider running Bounce for secondary stab, although the 2-turn things is kind of a bummer.
Back to top Go down
KidDraggo
Psychic
Psychic

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Oh my lord...You just made an essay...
Back to top Go down
SickSouls
Fighting/Electric Elite 4
SickSouls

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 6:52 pm

far257 wrote:
There's not much to be done with Aegislash...

252Hp/252Att/6Spee
Adamant @left overs/life orb
-King's shield(A must have, else you'll be stuck in blade form after an attack)
-Swords Dance(What's the point of its bulk otherwise?)
-Shadow Sneak/ Iron Head
-Sacred Sword(The type coverage is too much for a ghost type)

..... You could try a special attacker, but most of its move pool is physical.

How about a Charizard X?? Anyone have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
DF
Resident Punching Bag
Resident Punching Bag
DF

Location : In the middle of the Pastoria Swamp. Tourists come by here every so often and then I get a snack

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Feraligatr.
Back to top Go down
KidDraggo
Psychic
Psychic

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Dark Feraligatr wrote:
Feraligatr.
Don't you have your ideas for over 100 Feraligatr's
Back to top Go down
far257
Fire Gym Leader

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 8:22 pm

SickSouls wrote:
far257 wrote:
There's not much to be done with Aegislash...

252Hp/252Att/6Spee
Adamant @left overs/life orb
-King's shield(A must have, else you'll be stuck in blade form after an attack)
-Swords Dance(What's the point of its bulk otherwise?)
-Shadow Sneak/ Iron Head
-Sacred Sword(The type coverage is too much for a ghost type)

..... You could try a special attacker, but most of its move pool is physical.

How about a Charizard X?? Anyone have any ideas?
Yeah I don't think you can run aegislash without shadow sneak... to me it's iron head vs. sacred sword. Sacred sword is better coverage, but iron head gives stab, and with the popularity of fairy types, it's a tempting pick.

Also, how about running a Careful or Impish nature? At +2 or +4 aegislash isn't going to have problems sweeping... better to take less damage during the boosting phase? What do you think?
Back to top Go down
SickSouls
Fighting/Electric Elite 4
SickSouls

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Nicely thought. We could invest its Evs in Hp and special defense, since King's Shield reduces the attack stat when hit by a physical move by an incredible two stages. Having maximum bulk would allow it to use swords dance with ease. And then OHKO anything that doesn't resist it. Nicely done, Far! This would be a less expected strategy. And you're even right about the STAB moves. Still, sacred sword would be very useful for a ghost.
Back to top Go down
far257
Fire Gym Leader

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 10:30 am

SickSouls wrote:
Nicely thought. We could invest its Evs in Hp and special defense, since King's Shield reduces the attack stat when hit by a physical move by an incredible two stages. Having maximum bulk would allow it to use swords dance with ease. And then OHKO anything that doesn't resist it. Nicely done, Far! This would be a less expected strategy. And you're even right about the STAB moves. Still, sacred sword would be very useful for a ghost.
Very Happy

Steel losing its resistance to Ghost makes sacred sword less tempting than it would have been in Gen 5...

The downside is that the King's Shield attack drop does not apply to non-contact physical moves, like earthquake (which aegislash is weak to). You could run air balloon but I think you'll miss the leftovers too much.

Also, relying on King's shield to take shadow claws and crunches requires supreme prediction... not a set for the faint-hearted!

How about Talonflame?

1) Adamant or Jolly? Talonflame is already fast and Gale Wings gives priority to flying type attacks making speed investment somewhat redundant; however, running a Jolly nature and investing in speed EVs has three key factors:
    - Outspeeds OTHER Talonflame (first Brave Bird wins)
    - Outspeeds Modest Jolteon (resists Brave Bird, won't OHKO unless u have an SD up)
    - Outspeeds Choice Scarf Rotom-W provided your Speed IV is 3 points higher than Rotom's (and on 3DS play, that's very possible since Rotom is somewhat hard to breed - Rotom also resists your priority and kind of laughs at the damage - outspeeding Rotom lets you U-turn out instead of giving a free switch)

2) HP EVs? Talonflame relies on high-recoil attacks to do damage - investing in HP can help sponge some of this, although you would miss out on the speed benefits as above... but if you're not worried about those 3 pokes, run HP

3) Items and Movesets: to me there are 3 possibilities:

252 Atk/ 252 HP/ 6 Spe or Def, Adamant
Talonflame @life orb
-Brave Bird (STAB, high power, Priority)
-Flare Blitz (because Talonflame doesn't have any other good physical fire moves)
-Swords Dance (very little can stop you after a single boost)
-Roost (because both your moves hurt you too)

252 Atk/ 252 Spe or HP/ 6 HP or Def, Adamant/Jolly
Talonflame @flying gem
-Acrobatics (why else use flying gem?)
-Flare Blitz (because Talonflame doesn't have any other good physical fire moves)
-Swords Dance/Roost (Roost is less critical due to less recoil on this set, but Talonflame's frailness still means it's hard to set-up SD)
-U-turn

252 Atk/ 252 Spe or HP/ 6 HP or Def, Adamant/Jolly
Talonflame @Choice Band
-Brave Bird (STAB, high power, Priority)
-U-Turn (staple on a choice-set)
-Steel Wing (4th slot doesn't actually matter that much)

I personally like the choice band set because Talonflame rarely gets a chance to SD due to crummy bulk. Bluffing the choice band set might let you get a free SD on the switch since Choice Band Talonflame forces out key offensive threats like Venusaur, Blaziken and Scizor, but once the gig is up, you won't be able to pull it off again (and if Stealth Rock is on the field... well gg)

That being said, running U-Turn on a pokemon with 4x weakness to Stealth Rock is always questionable... I'm personally getting around that by running 2 spinners on my team, but it's a lot of support to be had.
Back to top Go down
Burliest Bear
Flying/Ghost Elite 4
Burliest Bear

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 11:15 pm

Gotta disagree with Aegislash - Shadow Claw/Iron Head definitely beats out Shadow Sneak. I WANT it to be nice and slow, tanking and retaliating with priority switch back to defensive stance with King's Shield.

What's the point in running a priority, low damage move (60atk with STAB), only to get smacked around in Blade Form?

(Also run Lax Incense on it, had pretty good luck with Fire Blast/Flamethrower missing.)
Back to top Go down
Luxray15
Team Galactic
Team Galactic
Luxray15

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 12:32 am

I agree with Yf, what's the point of having a priority move if there's no guarantee you'll KO them. You'll be a sitting duck.
Back to top Go down
Pokemon Wars
Pokemon Wars

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 12:33 am

Well as far as talonflame is concerned I'd go with hp Ev's over speed. Hp lets it take a few hits that it normally couldn't and the only reason you would really use flare blitz over brave bird is for steel types most of which talonflame can outspeed. Same reason for going adamant over jolly.

I have two problems with your flying gem and choice sets. The problem with the flying gem set is that there is no flying gem in the game (yet). Other wise it would probably be the set I use. As for the choice set I just don't feel its great with the amount of switching that choice sets typically require. Especially with stealth rock. True you could run two spinners but that seems like a lot of support for one pokemon especially when it runs other powerful sets that require little to no support.
Back to top Go down
Pokemon Wars
Pokemon Wars

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 12:54 am

Hope you don't mind if I moved this topic. Seemed to fit better in the strategy section.
Back to top Go down
[PN] dialga
Dragon Gym Leader
Dragon Gym Leader
[PN] dialga

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 am

Makes sense really
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Strategic Pokemon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Pokemon   Strategic Pokemon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strategic Pokemon
Page 1 of 1