Pokemon Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for pokemon players to chat, trade, battle and other pokemon related activities

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to Pokemon Wars!
March's Pokemon of the month is Latios!

Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
far257
Fire Gym Leader

Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon Empty
PostSubject: Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon   Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Let's get this one out of the way. Mega Lucario was banned by smogon. This is some of their reasoning:

I think it was largely because Mega-Lucario is so unpredictable - nothing can safely switch into it. When you see a Lucario in the team preview, you have to immediately try to work out if it is a Special or Physical attacker.

If it is special, then it will use moves like Vacuum Wave, Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, or Flash Cannon. It also has access to Nasty Plot.

If it is physical, then it might have moves like Close Combat, Bullet Punch, Extreme Speed, Crunch, Earthquake, or Stone Edge. It also has access to Swords Dance.

As can obviously be seen here, even once you work out whether it is Special or Physical, you still won't know exactly what moves it has, since it has access to so many good ones. Most teams would end up losing 1 or 2 Pokemon to it just to work out its move set, as nothing can safely switch into it.

Not only this, but because it can have both Nasty Plot and Swords Dance, then whenever it switches in, you will probably have to switch Pokemon, which allows Lucario to get a free boost to either its Special or Physical attack, depending on which set it is running.

All of this combined with Mega-Lucario's massive Attack stat (base 145) and boosted Speed (base 112) pretty much spelled the doom for Mega Lucario in OU. Not only did it get the stat boosts, but its new ability, Adaptability, means that with STAB Bullet Punch and Vacuum Wave are 80 base power, and Close Combat is 240 base power.

Because of all this Mega-Lucario was thought too powerful by Smogon, and so they banned it.

My opinion is that Mega Lucario is certainly powerful but far less dangerous than Blaziken. Adaptability close combat at +2 is nearly unwallable, but Lucario has a greater number of revenge killers, takes up a mega slot, and has a harder time setting up swords dance. If we keep Blaziken, we should for sure keep Mega Lucario. If not... i'm on the fence.
Back to top Go down
Pokemon Wars
The Supreme Overlord Admin
Pokemon Wars

PostSubject: Re: Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon   Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 4:41 pm

I've been holding off on speaking about this case til we had the results of the speed boost blaziken case. Now that we do I think this maybe something we can consider. I would like to extend the debating period on this case to 9/4.
Back to top Go down
https://pokemonwars.forumotion.com
SickSouls
Fighting/Electric Elite 4
SickSouls

PostSubject: Re: Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon   Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 10:37 pm

I have no clue how to go about this. Next thing you know Gengar will pop in OU too. Maybe Blaziken should be in Uber.

Um, won't having Lucario in OU make Blaziken even more needed for a team slot as it can counter M.Lucario?
Back to top Go down
far257
Fire Gym Leader

PostSubject: Re: Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon   Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 am

I sincerely think Blaziken to OU was a bad idea. I'm going to overuse Blaziken here for the next month, and one we have 0 new fire gym badge winners...
Back to top Go down
GiantWhirlpool
Champion
Champion
GiantWhirlpool

PostSubject: Re: Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon   Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am

Well seeing as its a new "season" guess I need your badge again, I'll be the first challenger far. Make it fun and ill make sure to make you wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon   Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mega Lucario Banned to Ubers By Smogon
Page 1 of 1