A place for pokemon players to chat, trade, battle and other pokemon related activities

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome to Pokemon Wars!
March's Pokemon of the month is Latios!

Share | 

Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DF
Resident Punching Bag
Resident Punching Bag

Location : In the middle of the Pastoria Swamp. Tourists come by here every so often and then I get a snack

PostSubject: Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)   Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:41 pm

So earlier I was looking for cool Pokemon to train by scanning the Kalos Pokedex. And I came across our good friend Hawlucha. Instantly I wanted one, and I decided, "Why not share my awesome Hawlucha strategies with everyone?". So here you people go! Like, three sets to make your very own killer Mexican luchador bird Pokemon!

Set 1: The Undertaker

Hawlucha
Item: Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
EV's: 252 Att/252 Spe/4 Def
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Moves:
-Hone Claws
-High Jump Kick
-Sky Attack
-Stone Edge

I think the point of this set is pretty clear. Get the chance to use Hone Claws, and then sweep. Hone Claws raises Attack and Accuracy, which is particularly useful for not missing your Hi Jump Kick's. But all these moves have less than 100 accuracy, so it is good for all of them. Sky Attack is executed in one turn with the Power Herb, which will also boost its Speed when it is used, thanks to Unburden. Hi Jump Kick is its other STAB move, and a very powerful one at that. Stone Edge is coverage, although can be changed if you are concerned about fighting a particular type.

Repetition Is the Foundation of Humor!

Hawlucha
Item: Salac Berry
EVs: 252 att/252 Spe/4 Def
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
-Encore
-Swords Dance
-Flying Press
-U-Turn

God Fighting/Flying is such great STAB. Basically, send out your good friend Hawlucha and have him use Encore against a Pokemon using a stat move. Even if they switch out you're bound to get a free Swords Dance in. Flying Press is unique, as it gets STAB for both of Hawlucha's types, and even has a chance to flinch. U-Turn is mainly used for scouting purposes and for felling the occasional Psychic Type. Except Metagross, anyway. This moveset is something I like to call "High risk, high return".

The Klefki Destroyer

Hawlucha
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Spe/252 Att/4 HP
Moves:
-U-Turn
-Flying Press
-Detect
-Encore

Well, not so much Klefki destroyer, more like Anti-Lead. Thunder Wave is made completely useless by Limber. This set mostly highlights Speed due to the Nature and EV spread. Life Orb gives Hawlucha an extra boost of power, and can also trick the foe into thinking this is a purely offensive Pokemon. Encore and Detect make Stealth Rock users like Ferrothorn cry, and U-Turn is good for when Detect was predicted. Flying Press is there for STAB purposes mostly.

So there you go! Three sets to make an average Pokemon into a deadly threat on the battlefield! Get ready folks, because Hawlucha is getting ready to make a grand appearance! Embrace the Mexican mentality amigo! Get a Hawlucha today!

The Supreme Overlord Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)   Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:40 am

Nice sets Hawlucha is a cool poke I might try one of these out sometime. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pokemonwars.forumotion.com
far257
Fire Gym Leader

PostSubject: Re: Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)   Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 am

never seen salac berry without sub... interesting...
on your second set, how do you plan to reliably trigger unburden and salac berry? Also, is it really that necessary to go to +2 upon activation? If you're going for a pinch berry, wouldn't Liechi Berry be a better choice given you already have unburden?

I really like the 3rd set - I think Limber is a very overlooked ability. As a fighting type, Klefki's foul play isn't going to do much, and if he dares use swagger on Hawlucha and doesn't get lucky, he could potentially be taking +2 flying presses to the face, which many players can't stomach. Great, very creative set... however, I'm pretty sure protect and detect do the same thing but protect has more pp...

SickSouls
Fighting/Electric Elite 4

PostSubject: Re: Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:16 am

Ha! You read my mind! I'm training a Hawlucha too! Your sets seem interesting, I like the second set, I think I'll use it.

I had in mind to run a scarf set on mine. Always, if it has U-Turn, slap it a choice scarf. Though now that Encore has bought my attention... I have this set in mind, not too different from yours.

Item: Focus sash
EVs: 252 att/252 Spe/4 Def
Moves:
-Encore
-Swords Dance
-Acrobatics
-Hi Jump Kick

I like the idea of a set involving Encore, noting that Hawlucha's vest counter would be Aegislash. It is most likely to use Swords Dance if a Hawlucha shows up in the field. Any decent trainer know bette than to remain locked on Swords Dance, so a switch would be presumed, leaving Hawlucha with a Swords Dance of his own, or even two, after the encore is over, even if the opponent stays, Hawlucha can OHKO Aegissalsh (after shadow sneak, it will be in attack form, Hawlucha survives thanks to the sash), and unburden will trigger after the blow. Though a priority move woul end it all...

I still like my idea here. If I had my Jolteon against a Hawlucha with this set... I'd used substitute predicting a switch. And would have gotten screwed with an encore. Even after thunderbolt, I'd only trigger the focus sash and get fainted after two High Jump Kicks.... I'm going do this set. It would also make a greedy revenge killer, locking prior earthquakes, say losing a Pokemon due to Garchomp's earthquake, Hawlucha could show up and use encore, thn receive a free Swords Dance... Oh gods, I want this set.... Though I admit it is foolhardy and a last minute idea too... Thanks for sharing, Df!

-Omac15
(thanks, bud!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dem
Magikarp Angling Moderator
Magikarp Angling Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)   Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:58 am

Noooooooo! Not Hawlucha! Now everyone is gonna have one! It's like a nightmare come true! *faints*

Oh, but good sets anyway. Even if they always manage to KO two of my Pokemon before I can take a hit at them. Now they'll probably get three.

DemDogg/Ultra/-=TheNERO=-
And Arceus said, “Let there be splash attacks.”
And splash attacks became.
And Arceus saw that it was good.

I'm over on Pokecommunity these days, under the name 'Nero'. Feel free to visit the forum or the Discord.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=569831
SickSouls
Fighting/Electric Elite 4

PostSubject: Re: Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)   Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:24 am

That's exactly how I felt when I saw the Klefki sets, Dem xD

EDIT: Focus sash. Bad. Bad idea xD it gets you killed the next turn. Stick to Far's liechi berry and Df's powerherb until we get a flying a gem. I did take down an Aegislash, predicting the swords dance, and got an encore on a speed boost Blaziken, but I lost to a... Priority move by some mamoswine. All in all, I recommend Hawlucha.

-Omac15
(thanks, bud!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)   

Back to top Go down

Hawlucha Sets! (Because why not)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pokemon Wars :: Battles :: Strategies and Guides-
Jump to: