Pokemon Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for pokemon players to chat, trade, battle and other pokemon related activities

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to Pokemon Wars!
March's Pokemon of the month is Latios!

Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)

Go down 
+3
Pokemon Wars
SickSouls
Thorn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Thorn
Youngster
Youngster

Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Empty
PostSubject: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 4:40 pm

HELLO EVERYONE! As you may know my name is Thorn, and I'm working on a Trick room ream because I HATE PEOPLE XD (kidding, really)

Anyway, this is completely unrelated to that. This is (hopefully) going to be a semi-regular guide to HOW NOT TO PLAY POKEMON. If you were looking for move sets to take to a competitive format THIS IS NOT THE THREAD FOR YOU! If you want to win every battle THIS IS NOT THE THREAD FOR YOU. If you want to ruin someone's day, and make your friends throw their DSs at you in blind rage and disgust,

WELCOME HOME.

Now, this is mostly a thought exercise, because I don't have a horde of pokemon I can use to test every single move set, though I hope to one day. If I do test any of the following sets, I'll post my results, and I encourage you too as well! I'd love to hear any suggestions and ideas you all have for really troll-ish and gimmicky sets.

Now, first, lemme get something straight. Trolling does not mean using ubers online and pwning everyone with your base stats of over 9000, or using speed boost blaziken to high-jump kick your friends bibarel into next Thursday. Those are really good pokemon simply doing what they do. Trolling and Gimmicks (as I choose to define them) are taking a less common pokemon (usually) and combining moves and abilities in a way that creates a neat trick or effect that is unexpected. That doesn't necessarily make it good but it should at the very least catch someone off guard, and then if they are unprepared for it, give them a hard time.

For today's installment I actually have 3 neat gimmicks that are varying levels of trollitude, just to show you what this guide is about. I present Funbro, Truant Tag, and [s]Contrary To Popular Belief[/s].

Funbro
Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) U-slow-bro_c_617330

Funbro is actually what inspired this guide. He is very trollish, banned by smogon, and most importantly, will make everyone you know hate your guts. The set up is this:

Slowbro @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Calm Nature
- Recycle
- Block
- Slack Off
- Heal Pulse

Now, this set won't be possible in online play until pokebank because Recycle is a move tutor move on slowbro (and you should thank Arceus for that, this set is evil). The gist of it is this: Switch Slowbro in on something that can't 2HKO him. Use block to trap them in. Use slack off to stall them to death, recycling your berry when you run out of PP. Once they start using struggle, they think that they can let their poke die and move on with their lives.

NOPE! If you keep using Heal pulse to counteract their struggle recoil the battle will persist until a)You get bored torturing them b) the time runs out, or most likely c) They rage quit. The beauty of this set is that Slowbro makes it so easy. Oblivious stops taunt from preventing him from using his moves, his high defenses make almost any switch a safe switch, and his move pool makes it all possible.

Now, while funbro is a utter demon, let's see if we can't make him actually usable?

Slowbro @ Mystic Water/Odd Incense/ other(maybe lefties?)
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP (or max out HP and SpAtk)
Calm/Quiet Nature
- Scald/Psychic/Psyshock
- Block
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind(or switch to slowking for Nasty Plot! which works because Blcok is an egg move, and Slack off is learned pre-evolution!)

Tada! You just turned Slowbro into a set up sweeper. Same rules apply, find something that can't 2HKO him, or set up on him, block it, and then set up to taste! Slack off whenever you need the health, and once your SpAtk is at it's peak, sweep away! Scald let's him burn anything he can't OHKO, why Psyshock let's him target physical defense. Personally, I'd go for scald, as it burns 1-out-of-3 times unless your unlucky. If you get entry hazards up before Slowbro comes in, it makes his job easier by breaking sturdy, sashes, and Marvel scale.

Next up:
Truant Tag

This video is where I found this set, and I just gotta say I LOVE IT

Durant @ Focus Sash
Ability: Truant
EVs: Don't matter
Nature Don't matter
- Entrainment (ONLY THING THAT MATTERS)
- Agility/Rock Polish
- Baton Pass
- Protect

Gothitelle @ Life Orb
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Psychic/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt
- Psychic/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Any other coverage move you want

So, the video displays this set REALLY WELL. Durant comes in, uses entrainment on something that can't switch out of Gothitelle, and it's job is done, let it die. If it can survive a few more turns and you opponent doesn't try and switch out, boost up your speed and baton pass it. Your opponent becomes trapped, and you know exactly what turns you need to protect and which turns you can set up calm mind. AND THEY JUST HAFTA TAKE IT!!! Then you sweep. Much less trollish then Funbro, but come on, it is gonna cause some rage and it's FUN.

[s]Contrary to Popular Belief[/s]

So. I could have just deleted this, because, as I was doing my research, I came to find out that Malamar cannot learn Skill swap, which is DEPRESSING! Because if you paired Contrary Skill Swap Malamar with a pokemon that uses Draco Meteor, Over Heat, or any similar move that lowers the users stats, it would be FEARSOME in a double battle. And I wanted that, because I have been trying FOREVER to come up with a decent Malamar set that wasn't Super Power Malamar. and while Skill Swap Malamar isn't a thing, I did manage to come up with Trollamar, though it requires more set up and isn't as good, I still thought I'd share. Not because the gimmick is super amazing, but because everything this set does annoys people.

Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) 3282606i

Malamar @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Simple Beam
- Topsy-turvy
- Superpower
- Switcheroo

Not as good as Skill swap but you work with what ya have. First turn is a switcheroo to ruin your opponents day (you could also run a choice item, flame orb, lagging tail, iron ball, basically any item that most pokemon do not wanna hold. Heck, sticky barb if you wanna be REALLY trollish), while whoever you pair him with opens with Draco Meteor or Over Heat, etc. Something that deals damage and lowers stats. Hopefully Malamar out speeds his partner and didn't get a choice item (if you did, give it away) and he can hit his partner with simple beam before he attacks. That results in him dropping to -6.

Which is when you use topsy-turvy. Turn 3 and your sweeper is +6 and has attacked every turn. Switch to heat wave, flamethrower, dragon pulse, what ever, and destroy EVERYTHING. With everything weekend from poison/burn and your last two attacks, you should be set to ruin someone's day. The problem of course is surviving to turn 3. Best of luck to you XD
Back to top Go down
SickSouls
Fighting/Electric Elite 4
SickSouls

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 6:37 pm

WHAT DEPTHS OF HELL DID YOU SPAWN FROM?? XD

I'm so trying some of these though!! xD hahaha, someone remind me not joke around Thorn xD you're crazy, man xD seriously, the best I've ever done is baton a couple of speed boosts onto a paraflinch Togekiss xD
Back to top Go down
Pokemon Wars
The Supreme Overlord Admin
Pokemon Wars

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Very nice guide I love using troll sets Razz

In 5th gen I ran something similar to your durant set. I had durant hold eject button and used arena trap dugtrio as my sweeper. Eject button made sure that your opponent didn't switch out before you could trap them and then you would just set up with hone claws and protect to sweep with your perfect coverage in earthquake and stone edge. DF knows exactly how evil the set can be Wink
Back to top Go down
https://pokemonwars.forumotion.com
DF
Resident Punching Bag
Resident Punching Bag
DF

Location : In the middle of the Pastoria Swamp. Tourists come by here every so often and then I get a snack

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 9:25 am

I wouldn't have minded so much if you didn't use it DURING MY ELITE FOUR TEST!
Back to top Go down
Pokemon Wars
The Supreme Overlord Admin
Pokemon Wars

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 1:52 pm

I thought it was a gym test and I did say sorry I know I shouldn't have some it but it was just so tempting Razz
Back to top Go down
https://pokemonwars.forumotion.com
Espiria
Youngster
Youngster
Espiria

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 12:59 am

One of my favorite "Piss People Off By Crippling Their Sweepers" strategies is a Chandelure with Flame Body, and holding a Choice Scarf. The best way I use it is to run Trick, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Flamethrowe. For best results use on fast Pokemon. Essentially, the instant you send in Chandelure, use Trick. This screws over Pokemon who were using that first turn to set up, like my bro's Garchomp. Then, LET THE ATTACK SPAMMING BEGIN. I also just realised you could use a Gothitelle with Shadow Tag and REAAALY infuriate some people.
Back to top Go down
[PN] Dark Lord
Dark/Psychic Elite 4
[PN] Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 am

Espiria wrote:
One of my favorite "Piss People Off By Crippling Their Sweepers" strategies is a Chandelure with Flame Body, and holding a Choice Scarf. The best way I use it is to run Trick, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Flamethrowe. For best results use on fast Pokemon. Essentially, the instant you send in Chandelure, use Trick. This screws over Pokemon who were using that first turn to set up, like my bro's Garchomp. Then, LET THE ATTACK SPAMMING BEGIN. I also just realised you could use a Gothitelle with Shadow Tag and REAAALY infuriate some people.

I love this set up, however there are a few things I would consider.
1) Niovern is faster and can learn switcheroo if your willing to chain breed.
2) Don't use the scarf. Run either specs or Band. You can then trick away the item to the correct sweeper, IE Specs to a physical sweeper and Band to a SPAtk one. this is because that Pokémon will not only be crippled, but also gain NO benefit from the item.
3) Remember, this would work on stallers, clerics and tanks too. Anything that needs access to it whole move set to be helpful
4) You need to trap your foe if its a sweeper, simply because it will still be able to switch out and back again and have freedom to attack
5) INSURE they cannot baton pass anything to that choiced pokemon.
Back to top Go down
Nocturne
Bird Keeper
Bird Keeper
Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 10:47 am

Wink This guide is useful and hilarious. 10/10.
Back to top Go down
SickSouls
Fighting/Electric Elite 4
SickSouls

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Yeah. I have yet to used one of these. Best I've done even now is just a prankster riolu.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)   Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thorn In Your Side (A guide to trolling in pokemon)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pokemon Wars :: Battles :: Strategies and Guides-
Jump to: